Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Share and Voice: Eco-friendly Cell Phones

I don't know about you guys, but I have a bad habit of wanting to keep up with the technology. This means I go through my cell phones pretty quickly. I know this is the case for a lot of people our age. So, I decided to find out a way to "go green" with it. I Googled it of course and this is what I found.
  • GreenYour talks about different manufacturers of cell phones and how they are attempting to go green. The link talks about what you should look for in a phone to be the most eco-friendly.
  • CNET talks about some of the new products from major companies such as Samsung and Motorola that are coming out soon, if not already out.
These are just some links that I thought would be helpful. These phones may not be the smartphone that everyone loves but it might be something to look into, especially if any of you have a new phone on your Christmas lists!

6 comments:

  1. If you are looking for a place to drop off your old phone I know the church I go to, the Vineyard Church located on Arrowhead Road, they have a spot in the foyer of the church where you can drop off your old phones, if I remember correctly they then take the phones and either have them recycled and/or they are shipped over to Iraq for our troops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought about green cell phones before but it's a really good idea. Biodegradable parts would be awesome for cell phones to have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Alyssa I never thought about green cell phones. It is a great idea and I am sure it is a emerging subject. Cool thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite part of the "Green Your" site was that they provided us 6 ways to with a "GreenYour Cell phone" checklist:
    1.Unplug your charger
    2.Power mobile devices with a hand crank or solar charger
    3.Recycle your cell phone
    4.Donate your cell phone
    5.Choose an eco-friendly cell phone
    6.Read electronically and avoid printing

    These were definitely helpful tips for me and I will take them into consideration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never really had a desire to get the newest and latest cell phone. I always tend to get the free phone when renewing my contract. But I have found that these phones are not the most reliable. I have had to replace my phone 3 times in past year. Each time I get a new replacement phone at no charge but it is not very environmentally friendly if I keep having to replace my phone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always donated my old phones when I get a new one, but I have never thought about an environmentally safe phone itself. I think this idea is great and it will be fun to see what they come up with.

    ReplyDelete