Monday, November 1, 2010

Eye Opener: Junk on the Brain

Part 1:
Antiquing: an item from a previous period of time
Junk: an item that is thought to be trash but may be able to be reused in another form.
Flea Market: a market where various items are sold for a typically low price; usually outdoors.
Thrift Shop: "A shop that sells used articles, especially clothing, as to benefit a charitable organization."
Upcycling: "the use of waste materials to provide useful products. Ideally, it is a reinvestment in the environment and embodiment of the notion that while using resources one is also contributing to them and their value. This is antithesis of the consume and waste concept in society."
Resale Shop: a place that sells things that were previously bought.

Part 2:
  1. The terms above in regards to environmental health means the reuse of materials that are already made to prevent the waste of resources in making new materials. This cuts down on costs of all sorts (money, environmental, etc.)
    1. Antiques: Antique Centre Duluth--335 Canal Park Dr, Duluth, MN 55802 (218) 726-1994
    2. Junk: http://junkcamp.blogspot.com/2009/04/calling-all-junkers.html
    3. Flea Market: http://local.minyanville.com/Dumpster_Diving_for_Fun_and_Profit_Duluth_MN-r1199386-Duluth_MN.html
    4. Thrift Shop: Savers--1740 Mall Dr, Duluth, MN 55811 (218) 722-1894 http://www.savers.com/
    5. Upcycling: http://www.etsy.com/
    6. Resale Shop: Pawn America--339 E Central Entrance Duluth, MN (218) 727-2274 http://www.pawnamerica.com/

I thought this was such a cute idea. I love how simple it was and how useful it could be. I've been looking for a jewelry organizer so maybe I'll use this as some sort of idea. I'd make it bigger and put it on my wall, though.


I love these cute wine bottles! I think I'm going to start saving mine and paint them to decorate my room or to decorate for different holidays. It is such an easy idea. Maybe they'd even make cute vases. I think I'd probably decorate with jewels or ribbon since I'm not a very good painter, though.




I love how simple this is and how classic it looks. I think black and white photos are so elegant looking and I think the old window pane makes it look really vintage. It's kind of like looking into the window of little moments in that families lives. I'd really like to try this idea someday.

5 comments:

  1. i LOVE the window idea! Very cool! Also the wine bottles can be used for a lot as well. Nice picks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The painted wine bottles are a great decorating idea! So simple, yet pretty stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those painted bottles are so cleaver, it is also crazy how many different ways you can create picture frames.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Black and white photography is my favorite so I really like that window! Very classy and striking at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the window idea too! I think the black and white photos really add an authentic edge to it.

    ReplyDelete