Sunday, November 28, 2010

Eye Opener: Photo Essay

The American Home

I took pictures of my family's home documenting the good, the bad, and the ugly environmental habits that my family has.

My family used to buy a lot of bottled water but now we drink the free filtered water from our fridge.


 Since I'm moving home next month, I'm going to start making my family recycle. We do, however, recycle our cans and have for years!




 Sometimes, I can regretfully say that I forget to dust my room which can be very unhealthy. I have started to do it more often now though since we have this new Norwex mitt that makes dusting really easy and is chemical free.


Instead of using dryer sheets, we use these anti-cling dryer balls that roll around in your clothes. They are environmentally safe and much better for you with no chemicals.

I read in my Read 'n' Seed book that it is unsafe to store your chemicals (not that they should be used at all) under the sink. This is something that I am going to get my family to change once I move back home.

My family also uses a lot of plastic bags. We are really good about reusing them but we still have too many. I plan to get my family some canvas bags for Christmas that they can use instead.

This was a really fun project to do as it really made me think about some of the things I can change in my own home. I assume that most people's houses are much like this and I thought this would be a good way to point out some things that can be changed rather easily. If these changes were made, it could lead to a big impact if everyone were to make them. It could lead to a much healthier planet.


3 comments:

  1. What a great idea to take pics around your home. While I was home I kept noticing all the environmental stuff that could improve at my house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Nowex dusting gloves seems like it would really come in handy when cleaning. Also I really like that you were so honest about the good and the bad things that went on in your house. Its nice to see . Great job

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been meaning to invest in a dryer ball for quite a while, but I am too forgetful. It is crazy what such simple changes around the house can add up to.

    ReplyDelete